Friday, October 3, 2008

Assuit Textiles


Today at school I was introduced to the textiles of Assuit*, Egypt. Being that it was from Egypt, it won immediate points. But besides that, I seriously do love the geometric prints and the combination of the airy like fabric with the metal embroidered strips.

Our guest speaker had a shawl similar to the one pictured and said she got it from eBay! I, of course, was already making a mental note to check it out. And after a little searching, there seem to be a few going for under $50. I'm just hesitant to buy one because (a) I don't know if they're legit, (b) I really don't need one and (c) what the heck would I do with one?

This is the kind of buy that you really want to make because it's so damn gorgeous and semi-rare, but at the same time you have absolutely no need for it. No matter what, I am determined to someday own a genuine 1920's Assuit shawl and dress. Yeah, I have big dreams.

*Also spelled Assiut, Asyut, or Assyut**
**Why does it have to be so confusing?

Picture via Vintage Textile

3 comments:

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

such a pretty piece that would be such a versatile addition to your wardrobe. start the researching!

Anonymous said...

so beautiful <3<3

Bluukbob said...

that is a really nice piece of fabric.

i love it..

xoxo