Thursday, September 9, 2010

poring over

For the past two Tuesdays, I've spent a good amount of time in two different used bookstores and walked away with these books.


From The Book Cellar at the Webster Library: Robert Wilson: The theater of images and Man Ray in Fashion


From Mast Bookshop: The Makioka Sisters and The Key, both by Junichirō Tanizaki.

Becoming engrossed in a book is one of the simplest of pleasures that I'm getting back in touch with. I'm used to seeing information fly before my eyes, whether holding down the space bar on Google Reader or scrolling to the bottom of the article to get the summarizing paragraph. Setting aside a few hours to sit in a coffee shop or lie in the park just to read a book seems absurd to me when I really think about it. No more just reading on the bus or subway!

No comments: